Our Client is a fast-growing, privately held consumer product company based in Nashville, TN. Our distribution channels run through North America, Europe and Asia. Among various product lines, we have solidified a prominent position in automotive categories. Two of our marquee brands are MYCHANIC® and FrostGuard® — the winner of a QVC’s Product Concept of the Year award. Customers include major retailers and ecommerce channels including Walmart, Sams Club, Costco, QVC, HomeDepot, Cabela’s, etc.
We are seeking a Packaging Engineer to lead packaging development projects from initiation through launch. Someone who loves working across cross-functional teams and aiming for continuous improvements and exploratory platforms for next-generational package design and materials selection.
The Packaging Engineer will liaise between our Client and its contract manufacturers to communicate quality requirements and ensure activities are tracked and met.
The perfect candidate will thrive in an environment that requires thinking on your feet, handing ambiguity, and managing ever-changing prioritization of tasks.
... we're basically like a start-up, but without a burn rate since we are privately owned-- the best of both worlds!
While only 30 employees, we are doing BIG things with BIG INTERNATIONAL customers... if you are tired of the grind of a large company atmosphere and are truly ready to impact change-- then our client is the place for YOU!
· Oversee and manage complete packaging development process, including the creation of packaging designs, prototype development, and performance testing
· Structural design of all types of material packaging (e.g. corrugate, paperboard, plastic, film, etc.)
· Troubleshoot new and existing packaging problems involving structural designs, materials and processes and provide creative, timely, and cost-effective solutions
· Analyze product specifications to determine adequate and compliant packaging characteristics, transportation handling, environmental and safety requirements.
· Work closely with global suppliers, Project Management, Operations, Sourcing, Product Development, Marketing, Sales, and Operations to optimize lead-time, regionalization, standardization, and compliance with customer, regulatory, and internal requirements
· Support all activities involved to achieve merchandising objectives and new product launch plans.
· Provide technical support to manufacturing and implementation processes of product packaging
· Specify and recommend efficiency tools and in-house test methods to develop and validate packaging designs and quality
· Develop and implement comprehensive third-party test plans (transit, compression, vibration tests, etc.) to ensure that packaging meets and exceeds customer specifications
· Prepare, document, and ensure maintenance of all engineering and manufacturing specifications, and bill of materials of packaging designs according to required specification
· Establish and prepare final die-lines (die layout) for retail packaging and display units
· Produce 3D rendering of display and pallet layout
· Provide packaging tech pack with component breakdown and specifications for quoting purposes
· Establish standards and guidelines for supplier evaluation. Evaluate and select packaging suppliers/vendors; periodically conduct vendor reviews
· Coordinate and manage tasks and communication with both domestic and international packaging suppliers
· Identify and implement cost saving initiatives related to packaging materials, labor, efficiency, transportation, and storage
· Work closely with Logistics to optimize loading plans and freight cost
· Work with the overseas suppliers to insure that the packaging designs are optimized for manufacturability
· Create display assembling instruction manuals
· Full understanding of overseas corrugate cost drivers
NOTE: International Travel required. Approximately two annual trips overseas and two annual trips domestic.
HOW YOU WILL BE MEASURED
· Timeliness of deliverables
· Accuracy of all deliverables to external and internal parties
· How seamless communications are between Packaging Engineer and all departments
· How well you work in a team environment
· Reducing packaging cost
· Organization of information
REQUIRED SKILL SET
· Self-manage projects and deadlines, strong organizational skills
· Manage multiple tasks simultaneously
· The desire to drive completion of tasks in a thorough detailed manner
· Clear communicator and possess the ability to present to upper management and key stake holders throughout the organization
· Proficiency in Artios CAD, Cape Pack, Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop, etc.), Microsoft Office Suite (Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Project)
· Strong understanding of consumer goods packaging
· HIGHLY detail oriented and proactive
· Ability to work cooperatively in a team environment
· Ability to learn new technologies and systems quickly
· Ability to adapt to change
· Embrace a challenging, fast-paced environment
· Problem solver, quick study, and self-starter
· Take direction but can also make decisions independently
· High energy and a positive attitude
· Ability to resolve conflicts in a productive manner
· Degree in Package Engineering Science or related field
· Minimum 7 years of industry related experience
· Experienced with retail customers and consumer goods (point of sale, promotional displays, etc.)
· Overseas experience is a plus, but not required
*MUST SUBMIT PORTFOLIO WITH RESUME TO BE CONSIDERED