The Director of Procurement is a senior role focused on developing a corporate culture of operational excellence. This includes collaborating with cross-functional groups to review the entire life cycle of production requirements from an overall procurement perspective. Throughout the scope of responsibility, this position will be expected to identify high-level improvement opportunities (systems, philosophies, techniques, processes, etc.) and provide leadership to propose and drive solutions. Requires highly collaborative behavior with other departments to establish and grow systems and procedures while managing the corporate procurement team.
The Director of Procurement will be a people-motivating, experienced leader, reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, and a key member of the Operations management team, having full procurement responsibility across the company’s three U.S. manufacturing locations, and based in Russellville, AL. The successful hire will, in short time, assess and lead forward the sourcing and procurement of direct materials, MRP and logistics. It will be important that this leader integrate the procurement efforts of all three sites, and motivate long-term employees, as well as new hires under his/her authority, to excel. The character and capability to listen well to people, inspire teams, suppliers, and delegate performance are crucial attributes. He/she will be responsible for managing approximately twenty department employees across manufacturing facilities and procurement functions. He/she will be an engaged leader, helping to assess and recruit key talent, capable of seeking and understanding employee inputs, helping employees develop their skills and talents, training teams, and to be responsible for implementing best practices, including lean methodologies, delivering results in key areas of cost reduction, quality, delivery, productivity, inventory, and safety.
- Work closely with Operations and Engineering teams to lead strategic sourcing projects that identify cost savings benefits and support product roadmaps for cost optimization.
- Negotiate strategic sourcing agreements and contracts with direct material, MRO, and logistics providers. Items negotiated include purchase price, supply chain flexibility programs, preferred AP terms, delivery, and commercial terms.
- Responsible for supplier development plans aligned to meet product roadmaps.
- Complete supplier audits and ongoing business reviews with strategic suppliers; take action on findings as appropriate.
- Build and maintain relationships with key suppliers, while exploring best options for corporate objectives.
- Ensure a supply base and contracts support inventory and working capital objectives, logistics, trade compliance initiatives, and lean manufacturing lead-time reduction programs.
- Ensures material competitiveness through commodity benchmarking and “should-cost” analysis.
- Leads “make vs. buy” analysis to optimize internal resources.
- Lead and develop the procurement team.
- 330,000 square feet of manufacturing and distribution
- Direct and indirect headcount of 450
- Primary products produced: fireplaces, gas logs, pipe and accessories
- Plant Manager has 14 direct reports that include:
- Production Managers (4)
- Production Supervisors (9)
- Manufacturing Engineering Manager (1)
- Manufacturing/Equipment Engineers (3)
- Maintenance/Facilities Manager (1)
Santa Ana, California
- 160,000 square feet of manufacturing and distribution
- Direct and indirect headcount of 35, in addition to temporary employees
- Primary products produced: fireplaces, gas logs, pipe & accessories
- Plant Manager has direct reports that include:
- Facilities Manager
- Maintenance Supervisor
- Lean Manufacturing Facilitator
- Production Supervisors (6)
- 80,000 square feet of manufacturing and distribution
- Direct and indirect headcount of 27, in addition to temporary employees
- Primary products produced: steel stoves and inserts (plate steel; wood, pellet, and gas)
- Plant Manager has 4 direct reports that include:
- Production Supervisors (3)
- Maintenance Supervisor
EXPERIENCE & QUALIFICATIONS
- 10+ years of experience in procurement leadership roles, including strong forecasting, budgeting, and planning capabilities.
- A successful record of progressive career advancement with expanding roles and responsibilities.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit, lead, manage, and mentor a high-performing, data-driven procurement team.
- The successful candidate will have spent ample time working in manufacturing organizations with revenue in excess of $100M, and must demonstrate the experience to lead and support major step changes in supply chain quality, on-time delivery, and service.
- Demonstrated track record of keeping multiple manufacturing sites supplied and running.
- Excellent negotiating skills with an ability to have difficult conversations with positive outcomes.
- Strong knowledge of MRP systems and effective use of software tools.
- He/she will be a high-bandwidth leader who is proficient in team and employee motivation, managing purchasing, raw material inventory control, as well as shipping, receiving, and warehousing.
- The successful candidate will have led fact-based decision-making initiatives where the impact to the bottom line can be quantified and realized.
- Ability to lead and sustain best-value processes, which may include: S&OP planning, lean manufacturing, policy deployment, inventory management, information technology tool deployment and utilization.
- Must be a visionary and will be responsible for influencing, leading, and driving people and teams, including senior Company employees, and capturing improvements.
- A Bachelor’s degree is required; a major in Engineering, Business Administration, Finance, Operations, Management or related discipline is preferred. MBA is a strong plus.
- Proactive, responsive and fully engaged. Driven and takes personal accountability. High energy.
- Exceptional communication/presentation, team motivating, negotiation, written, and verbal skills.
- Possesses the charisma and presentation skills to include an audience of Board members and investors.
- Brings the ability to win the organization’s respect and drive change.
- Strong team builder, people manager, and change agent.
- Entrepreneurial spirit and enjoys a fast-changing environment.
- Data driven, analytical, and good at generating accurate and understandable data and reports.
- Advocates and selects the best idea, not necessarily their ide; low on ego and apolitical.
- Exhibits a high degree of autonomy with a proven ability to pull disparate pieces together across the organization and ‘get things done.’
- Must be willing to home-base (M-F) in Russellville, AL area, and to travel to support IHP operations in Los Angeles and Seattle, as well as appropriate supplier and customer meetings.