Reporting to the President of Maverick Boats, the Director of Engineering will manage the development of the Maverick product plan and schedule. Utilize the Engineering resources to develop the concept, modeling, engineering, tooling, fixtures, and documentation required to launch new models into production. Validate the design and engineering of new models through prototype construction and endurance testing. Provide manufacturing support to resolve design, safety, and warranty issues.
- Coordinate the development of the Maverick Long Range Product plan and schedule to meet Company production and revenue goals.
- Utilize the Long Range Plan to develop project schedules for each new model.
- Set annual goals for the Engineering & Product Development team in the areas of cost, quality, delivery, and safety.
- Determine the annual budget required to support the development plan. Utilize the resources to staff the department and provide the equipment and material necessary to support the development plan.
- Lead the development and implementation of the Key Milestones of Development.
- Participate in the research phase of each project to develop objectives and criteria for the product. Remain up to date with the market and Maverick customer expectations through research, Company events, and dealer contacts to insure product is meeting customer expectations.
- Work with to the Design Development Manager in the development of the concept, design, and layout of each new model.
- Provide direction to the Detail Design Engineers to develop the model for the hull, deck, stringers, and fiberglass parts required for each model.
- Provide direction to the Product Manager to develop the model features, cost, systems engineering, documentation, and manufacturing plan.
- Work with the Tooling Department Manager in the construction of plugs, molds, fixtures, and equipment necessary to build new models.
- Provide direction to the Compliance and Testing Engineer to ensure that new models meet USCG/ABYC/NMMA/CMMA/CE domestic and international construction and safety standards.
- Conduct necessary management reviews and buy off of critical development steps.
- Ensure the structural integrity of new models through design validation and endurance testing.
- Make critical decisions necessary to support NPD and the Company objectives.
- Provide Manufacturing support necessary to resolve design, engineering, process, and warranty issues. Participate in resolution of ECN and CAR issues for production
- Maintain regular meeting schedule to review progress toward completing new models to the Long Range Plan.
- 5-10 years of experience in a Product Development leadership role in the marine industry, or similar experience.
- Proficient in developing a product development schedule. Proven record of completing projects successfully and on time.
- Solid analytical skills and the ability to resolve problems.
- Bachelor's degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must possess strong interpersonal communication skills and the ability to effectively communicate and present ideas to management team and peers
- Must be proficient in providing direction to shop personnel to troubleshoot manufacturing issues in production area.
- Organized, detail oriented, self-motivated team player with hands on work ethic.
- Must be proficient in the use of computers and use of company-wide software programs: Microsoft Office Excel, PowerPoint, Word