The Category Manager – Indirect is responsible for developing and implementing enterprise-wide sourcing strategies for Indirect categories such as Office Supplies, Travel, IT, Facilities Services, and Environmental Services. This role has day-to-day ownership for the strategic management of the Company’s Indirect’s-related procurement initiatives, driving the highest value and overall lowest cost of ownership through the development and utilization of the company’s preferred suppliers. The role will oversee all assigned Indirect’s initiatives, which includes proactively identifying areas of opportunity, process improvement, and cost efficiencies, working with key stakeholders to develop policies, procedures, and objectives in accordance with organization objectives and business needs. The Category Manager will work to stay abreast of new developments, make recommendations that meet the organization’s objectives and work closely with Division and Stakeholder resources to manage implementation activities.
- Lead procurement team efforts, which includes development, coordination, and continuous evaluation of suppliers and procurement commitments
- Leverage extensive category and supplier knowledge to drive lower TCO
- Standardize and optimize applicable procurement processes across all operating locations
- Work closely with key stakeholders to ensure the organization is taking a strategic approach to Indirect’s category management
- Assure compliance with agreements and manage supply base performance in accordance with VMC standards
- Provide input/oversight for the following programs: Travel, Office Equipment & Supplies, Special Waste.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in the field required, advanced degree desirable.
- Experience: Successful, 5+ year track record within procurement. 3+ years of focused management of Indirect categories/programs. Strong knowledge of procurement practices is required. Experience sourcing technology solutions and project management skills is strongly preferred.
- Extensive knowledge of Indirect categories (e.g., Travel, Office Supplies, IT, Fleet Telematics)
- Respected by key internal stakeholders. Demonstrates a collaborative working style, with the ability to develop relationships with internal customers while also driving continuous improvement with operating partners
- Negotiating skills, including the ability to communicate with multiple levels internal and external to the organization
- Clearly communicates a vision for the future state and sets stretch goals for self and team.
- Strong communicator; understands and clearly communicates a larger sense of purpose and mission to the team.
- Balances collaborative decision-making with a strong sense of conviction
- Ability to lead through collaboration and influence
- Balances confidence with humility maintains high levels of self-awareness
- Champions and drives team success while maintaining enterprise-level perspective
- Diligent in responsibilities, balances rigor with conscientiousness
- Customer-oriented: open to and willing to act upon feedback