Since 1919, with the invention of the first practical electric hair clipper, Wahl Clipper Corporation has been the leader in the professional and home grooming category. Today, with over 1,500 employees worldwide, we are proud to carry forward the tradition of innovation and superior customer service that was created by Leo J. Wahl. While we have changed over the years, we have also stayed the same. We are still headquartered in Sterling, Illinois, USA. Today our products are sold in approximately 165 countries worldwide with six global manufacturing facilities as well as eleven sales offices. Our products remain the global standard for integrity, value and efficiency. At Wahl, we are proud of our heritage of excellence as well as our remarkable list of ground-breaking innovations for the present and future for the global market.
The Category Manager will be responsible for supplier management, supplier sourcing and category management duties within assigned categories of spend. This position manages both value and risk within the supply base and ensures that supplier pricing, processes, and quality meet or exceed business requirements. Primary categories of responsibility will include cords, shaver parts, transformers, batteries, motors, PCBA and MIM blades. Secondary miscellaneous categories will be assigned as required.
Key Job Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement effective sourcing strategies of assigned categories through analysis and linkage to company requirements.
- Develop and maintain a deep understanding and knowledge of assigned category products/markets, supplier input costs and their potential impact on company performance.
- Regularly perform detailed analysis (exchange rates, trade compliance, industry capacity, price trending data) and other relevant information for assigned categories.
- Provide appropriate and timely visuals for the Gemba process.
- Develop, communicate and implement short & long-term category strategies to lower total cost of ownership and mitigate risk to the company.
- Develop and manage a cost savings project pipeline that will deliver YOY savings to the company.
- Lead cross-functional sourcing projects including new supplier development, new material trials and other related to assigned categories. Work closely, collaboratively with all internal stakeholders.
- Provide alternate materials/supplier recommendations, which may bring competitive advantage or enhanced risk management to the company. Work closely with stakeholders to develop new trial and approval processes.
- Develop and publish reports/dashboards relative to assigned categories (management team, finance, other). Responsible for overall performance of suppliers in assigned categories.
- Effectively manage supplier selection process to meet category strategy, quality, service, cost, risk mitigation and supplier performance goals.
- Drive the supply base to continually develop and implement process improvements and provide meaningful value to the company.
- Collaborate with multiple departments to address performance, quality and other issues with suppliers within assigned categories. Manage supplier root cause and corrective action process.
- Manage new product development within assigned categories. Collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders to ensure all expectations are met for a product launch.
- Develop and manage product transitions that effect inventories. Be pro-active in managing possible obsolescence and develop disposition plans in collaboration with all internal stakeholders.
- Liaise with suppliers to ensure stability within the supply chain and product availability at all times. Proactively communicate potential supply disruptions and contingency plans.
- Work closely with Compliance department to ensure all suppliers within assigned categories are compliant.
The ideal person for this position has the following minimal requirements:
- Bachelor's degree in business, supply chain operations, finance or other related to business requirements.
- Minimum 5-7 years' category management/purchasing experience within a strategic environment.
- Minimum 5 years of supplier management experience.
- Experience/understanding of assigned categories.
- Knowledge of lean manufacturing, supplier audit processes, and CPI methodology
- Knowledge of strategic sourcing and purchasing methodologies (RFI, RFP, 7-step SS, SRM, category management) and excellent negotiation skills.
- Project Management skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of inventory planning techniques.
- Ability to be proactive and persistent in a fast-paced, multi-dimensional environment.
- Ability to build collaborative relationships across many functional areas.
- Ability to respectfully challenge status quo where appropriate, as supported by well-researched data and effectively articulate how each case will positively affect the company.
- Integrity, humility, flexibility and a creative thought process.
- Strong "follow up" mindset and attention to detail.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the country of employment without sponsorship for employment visa status (e.g., H1B status)